The file selection dialogs on windows and mac use native dialogs. Only on unix-like platforms a very simple scripted dialog is used. This project was started to provide a better looking dialog for those platforms.
After a while people started to use this dialog on windows as well because of some of the features it provides.
- Show directories in a separate pane or mixed-in with the files
- Optionally show details of the files (size, modification time, etc.)
- Show or hide hidden files
- Sort the files by name, date, or size
- The user can interactively control the features mentioned above
- Select a directory using the file selection dialog
- ttk::getAppendFile (obsoleted by the -confirmoverwrite option)