Exploring the implementation of a modular, distributed computing system, potenially on Parallax Propeller processors running Forth - inspired by Convergent Technologies' NGEN system running CTOS - using newer protocols and technology where there have been efficiency advancements (as opposed to regressions).
...recalling an age when:
- computing technology wasn't dominated by the homogeneous lowest common denominator;
- the IT landscape wasn't a fragile monocrop prone to infection and collapse;
- IT skills were appreciated and it didn't require people to constantly feed it content;
- people with intent applied their best talents to produce flexibly elegant and robust solutions with real purpose;
- resources and energy weren't squandered on deliberately short replacement schedules by design;
- people owned and used computers for a task, instead of computers using people for profit.
recall when hundreds of people got work done on a shared machine with dual core processors and 16MB of memory.
There are plenty of hardware and architecture options to explore and features to define. And, of course, a stated goal to constrain the initial foundational feature set and suggest a roadmap for the future directions. The new NGENOS is to be defined in a hardware-agnostic way so as to avoid hardware lock-in.
$ fossil clone https://chiselapp.com/user/refaQtor/repository/NGENeer NGENeer.fossil $ mkdir NGENeer && cd NGENeer $ fossil open ../NGENeer.fossil $ fossil ui &